41: Creating a Safe Space for Men to Get Real
Larry D. Edwards is the founder & Executive Director of Edwards Mentoring & Social Services, PLLC – a community organization dedicated to the empowerment and optimal social functioning of children, youth and families. As a licensed Master Social Worker, Larry possess twenty years of experience and training in the social service sector. Prior to finding his company in April 2015, Larry served as the Director of New York City’s premiere fathering program: Forestdale Fathering Initiative, where he developed, implemented and managed personal development programming for approximately 250 fathers annually. The aforementioned programming included Parenting & Co-Parenting Education, Domestic Violence Education, Anger & Abusive Behavior Management Education and Financial Empowerment Counseling. Larry has served as guest speaker and panelist on both the local and national stage, his professional work being featured most recently in the Pureland Picture documentary “Daddy Don’t Go” – An Emily Abt Film with Co Executive Producers Malik Yoba and Omar Epps. He also has extensive experience working with Individuals (and families) with disabilities and special needs.
Larry, a native of South Carolina, resides in the Springfield Gardens section of Queens with his wife of 15 years and their three teenage sons: twins Joshua & Jeremiah (14) and John (13). He continues his devotion to being an Agent-of-Change by providing professional mentoring, counseling and educational services to individuals and families in crisis. He also consults for and collaborates with public and private organizations dedicated to strengthening the community.
In this episode you will learn:
- How he became a recognized leader in the Fatherhood Space
- How he helps fathers unpack their own childhood and develop as men
- How we breaks the cycle of parenting based on how we were parented
- The importance and impact of individual and family time in developing your children’s self esteem
- About how Edwards Mentoring Services is shaping young people’s lives
You can find Larry here:
- Register for the Fatherhood Leadership Academy Coaching Program
- Watch my TEDx Talk: The Most Important Question A Father Can Ask Himself